Meet Craig Campbell, one of the stars of Y108’s 8 Man Jam 2013, an invitation-only show at Rivers Casino on May 23:
1) Craig hails from tiny Lyons, Georgia. From first grade through high school, he played piano and sang in church three times a week.
2) When Craig was 11, his biological father passed away. Craig’s older sister Lynn helped to raise him while their mother worked.
3) Lynn encouraged Craig to enter a True Value Hardware singing contest when he was 15, and Craig won the competition. Sadly, Lynn was killed in an automotive accident only months later.
4) Craig credits his stepfather with teaching him to have a strong work ethic.
5) For a short time, Craig worked in the Georgia Department of Corrections.
6) During his early Nashville days, Craig played piano in Luke Bryan’s band (Luke encouraged him to become a songwriter).
7) Craig married fellow country singer Mindy Ellis in 2005.
8) Craig wrote his big hit “Family Man,” while he and Mindy were struggling to make ends meet while expecting their first child (their daughters Kinni and Preslee, are in the video). “Family Man” was included in an episode of the TV drama “True Blood”.
9) Craig is good friends with Randy Houser and Lee Brice.
10) The hit song “Outta My Head” was intended to be recorded by Scotty McCreery, but it was sent to Craig’s attention by mistake. Craig says he was able to ‘sweet talk’ Scotty into relinquishing the tune.
Listen to Y108 to win tickets to Y108’s 8 Man Jam 2013, powered by Bowser GMC Trucks, and brought to you by FlyPittsburgh.com!